Home » , » Little Three Drawer Chest Redo

Little Three Drawer Chest Redo

Written By petite karinne on Friday, January 10, 2014 | 4:33 PM

Before and after


I picked up this small chest of drawers really cheap. I decided to use it as my "brave creation".  A traditional re-finisher, but I went bright Barn red. I actually learned to admire the color and still make it somewhat traditional. What I love most about this project is the French Typography on the top; complimenting the "old country style" I tried to create. So this little "wing with it" project became a kitchen linen storage piece. 



A former project started by another DIY'er who decided not to continue. I bought a "gloppy hardened mess". 


It may have stored for some time. It needed a lot of clean up. 


I'll keep the hardware, just painting them will do well.  One is missing the handle, but I can make a mold to replace it.

Starting the clean up with soap & water, then sanded when dried. 

After cleaning and light sanding on the drawers, I rolled on latex enamel. Eeeek! Red! Not a comfort zone for me. But this is a "brave" piece anyway. 

Now cleaning the top and frame to sand.  I have no idea what was spilled on this. But it did come off. 

Sanded and vacuumed out.

More paint rolling. 

Now for a glazing trial. Blending in some "Onyx" 

Last drawer rolled on. 

Placing hardware and drawers back. 

Now to work on the bare wood top. 
All ready for creating. 

I found graphics from the Graphic Fairy. (  http://thegraphicsfairy.com/ ) She has wonderful French Typography. Perfect for what I had in mind here. She also features so many tips for painting techniques and transferring graphics. I don't have some of the gadgets that were suggested so I had to pencil draw these using her graphics.  

Using the same "Onyx" Expression Color as I did on the dresser, I also used it to "paint" my design. 

When the paint dried, I applied stain over the top. Then added a thin coat of Lacquer to seal it off. 

"The French Chicken" 

Thank you, Graphics Fairy! 

Doing this color and this technique is not my "norm".  I'm all earth-toney and a traditional re-finisher. This project helped me overcome my fear of color. 

Hardware, handles and knobs were painted in Gloss black that I allowed to get tacky and "roughed it up " by tapping them with a cloth for a mix of gloss and age. 







Lacquer drying. 







Thank you for stopping by to check out my new bravery piece! 









~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~












 Give Me the Goods Monday
Give Me the Goods Monday 


Gracie of House with the View

Sue of HouseKaboodle

ARod of Makin My Apt a Home




 Thursday Style Link Party 2
Thursday Style Link Party 2  

The Ultimate Linky


Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.