Home » , » Little Three Drawer Chest Redo

Little Three Drawer Chest Redo

Written By petite karinne on Friday, January 10, 2014 | 4:33 PM

Before and after

I picked up this small chest of drawers really cheap. I decided to use it as my "brave creation".  A traditional re-finisher, but I went bright Barn red. I actually learned to admire the color and still make it somewhat traditional. What I love most about this project is the French Typography on the top; complimenting the "old country style" I tried to create. So this little "wing with it" project became a kitchen linen storage piece. 

A former project started by another DIY'er who decided not to continue. I bought a "gloppy hardened mess". 

It may have stored for some time. It needed a lot of clean up. 

I'll keep the hardware, just painting them will do well.  One is missing the handle, but I can make a mold to replace it.

Starting the clean up with soap & water, then sanded when dried. 

After cleaning and light sanding on the drawers, I rolled on latex enamel. Eeeek! Red! Not a comfort zone for me. But this is a "brave" piece anyway. 

Now cleaning the top and frame to sand.  I have no idea what was spilled on this. But it did come off. 

Sanded and vacuumed out.

More paint rolling. 

Now for a glazing trial. Blending in some "Onyx" 

Last drawer rolled on. 

Placing hardware and drawers back. 

Now to work on the bare wood top. 
All ready for creating. 

I found graphics from the Graphic Fairy. (  http://thegraphicsfairy.com/ ) She has wonderful French Typography. Perfect for what I had in mind here. She also features so many tips for painting techniques and transferring graphics. I don't have some of the gadgets that were suggested so I had to pencil draw these using her graphics.  

Using the same "Onyx" Expression Color as I did on the dresser, I also used it to "paint" my design. 

When the paint dried, I applied stain over the top. Then added a thin coat of Lacquer to seal it off. 

"The French Chicken" 

Thank you, Graphics Fairy! 

Doing this color and this technique is not my "norm".  I'm all earth-toney and a traditional re-finisher. This project helped me overcome my fear of color. 

Hardware, handles and knobs were painted in Gloss black that I allowed to get tacky and "roughed it up " by tapping them with a cloth for a mix of gloss and age. 

Lacquer drying. 

Thank you for stopping by to check out my new bravery piece! 


 Give Me the Goods Monday
Give Me the Goods Monday 

Gracie of House with the View

Sue of HouseKaboodle

ARod of Makin My Apt a Home

 Thursday Style Link Party 2
Thursday Style Link Party 2  

The Ultimate Linky

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.